About the James A. Porter Colloquium
The James A. Porter Colloquium, established at Howard University in 1990 by former Department of Art Chair Dr. Floyd C. Coleman, is named in honor of the late Dr. James A. Porter, scholar, art historian and former Chair of the Department of Art Howard University. His seminal 1943 publication Modern Negro Art formed the foundation for the scholarly study of African American Art. The annual colloquium builds on Dr. Porter’s pioneering work to nurture the scholarly study, appreciation and celebration of African American Art and has attracted scores of internationally renowned speakers, among them: David C. Driskell, Lisa E. Farrington, Okwui Enwezor, Lowery Stokes Sims, Robert Farris Thompson, Kelli Jones, Valerie Cassell Oliver, artists Lorna Simpson, William T. Williams, Sam Gilliam, Lyle Ashton Harris, Chakaia Booker and Lorraine O’Grady.
About the Center for Advanced Studies of Visual Arts (CASVA)
The Center for Advanced Studies of Visual Arts (CASVA) at the National Gallery of Art, founded in 1979 and located in the National Gallery’s East Building, is a research institute that fosters study of the production, use, and cultural meaning of art, artifacts, architecture, urbanism, photography, and film worldwide from prehistoric times to the present.
About the David C. Driskell Center
Established in 2001, the Driskell Center provides an intellectual home for artists, museum professionals, art administrators and scholars who are interested in broadening the field of African diasporic studies. The David C. Driskell Center for the Study of the Visual Arts and Culture of African Americans and the African Diaspora at the University of Maryland, College Park, honors the legacy of David C. Driskell (1931-2020) —distinguished university professor emeritus of art, artist, art historian, collector, curator and philanthropist— by preserving the rich heritage of African American visual art and culture.
About the Howard University Gallery of Art
Dating from 1870 in its original form as the Historical Picture Gallery, the Howard University Gallery of Art was officially established in 1928 by action of the Board of Trustees to “make revolving exhibitions of contemporary arts and crafts available for visitation and study.” The Gallery formally opened on April 7, 1930 with a traveling exhibition of oil paintings, watercolors, and drawings assembled and circulated by the College Art Association of America. After the success of this exhibition, a policy and program leading to the development of a permanent collection was adopted. James V. Herring, founder of the Department of Art, and James A. Porter, internationally renowned art historian and critic, were the earliest directors.